Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dog Blankets

The addition of a new dog to the family meant a new dog blanket was needed because our old dog certainly wasn't going to share hers! I do own a sewing machine although it does spend a lot more time in the cupboard than out being used. Actually it spends a great deal of its time in the cupboard. Sewing isn't really my thing.

I found a couple of very old quilts in the linen cupboard. They were inherited by my husband when he left home and they were old and past their use by date then. We used them for camping for a number of years until they started to fall apart so they were shoved to the back of the cupboard and left to retire. They came to light a few months ago when I cleaned the linen cupboard out - it was a necessity, we couldn't shut the door.

I cut the quilts in half and as one was in reasonable condition simply bound the cut edge and that was that. The other had a few rips and tears so I cut up an old sheet that was quite thick but rather stained and used that to make a new cover for the old quilt. The result was four soft and warm blankets for the dogs to sleep on. As a bonus the blankets are easy to wash and dry quickly. Not bad for $2.00 (the cost of the bias binding) we now have four blankets which should serve well for quite some time (if the dogs don't eat them).

No comments: