Last summer I created a 'cage' from an old swing set to grow some vegies in. It seemed to be the only way to stop all the local wildlife from helping themselves to my fresh vegies. It is a small area, about 3 metres by 1.5 metres but was very intensively planted. Green beans wound their way up the walls and out through the roof, cucumbers grew under the beans and wound their way out of the cage and onto the path, tomatoes and sweet corn grew together down one end and parsnips popped up where ever they found room.
Today I cleared all the old vines and dug up the last of the parsnips. Some the parsnips were huge but had gone a little woody, some were small and sweet - perfect for roasting. The older parsnips were grated and used in the dog food I made tonight. There were a number of seedlings sitting on the back verandah waiting for a new home so they were all planted in the cage - spinach, broccoli, leeks and a few kale seedlings. Hopefully they will be protected by the cage and will grow well.
The main job I was hoping to do today was fencing the new vegie garden. I got a little bit done but not as much as I would like. I'm sinking the wire mesh for the fence into the ground to try and stop the rabbits and wombats from going under the fence. Wombats can be very persistent about getting through fences so I'm putting old roof tiles along the bottom of the fence as well. When its all finished it should be like a much larger version of my swing set cage.
Maybe tomorrow I will get more done.