Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A day to light the wood stove

Its cold and foggy again this morning so I've lit the fire in the wood stove. I don't often use the wood stove, its far more convenient to use the electric one next to it. Each time I take the time to light the fire and get the stove going I wonder why I don't do it more often.

The wood stove heats the kitchen beautifully, allows us to cook on the stove top and bake in the oven. All this for a few pieces of firewood. It doesn't use much firewood compared to the slow combustion fireplaces. This is partly because the firebox on the wood stove is rather small so you can't fit much wood in at any one time.

A cup of tea tastes so much better when the kettle has been left on top of the stove to boil. You do have to be careful of not letting it boil dry though. Cakes taste wonderful cooked in the oven and the oven stays hot long after the fire has gone out.

The plan for today is to take advantage of the wood stove and spend some time in the kitchen. I might even make those scones I've been planning to make for days!

No comments: