Monday, December 1, 2008

Back to Basics Challenge Update



Sowing seed or Planting

  • Beetroot (seeds)
  • Weeded and mulched my herb garden. Most of the herbs are growing well so I'm trying to incorporate more fresh herbs in my cooking, after all if you take the trouble to grow them you should use them.
Planning for The Future
meal planning, the next seasons garden plan, working out storage plans or more long term goals and projects like plans for digging root cellars
  • Meal planning - I'm trying to plan meals for a few days ahead to cut down on trips to the shops. I used to shop once a week but got out of the habit. Hopefully with a bit of practice and planning we can go back to the weekly shop.
  • Wrote a list for people we give Christmas gifts to and planned which gifts I would make and which I would purchase.
Working for the Future - storing food, managing stores, preserving, building that home made cob or solar oven, adding house insulation, saving for manual grain mills etc
  • Visited the local orchards and bought 3 boxes of local, unwaxed apples and 1 box of cherries. The apples will be cooked and frozen, made into pies and dried.
Building Community - volunteering, donations, joining an existing community group, forming your own community group, taking a cake to a friend having a hard time, calling someone you just let drift out of your life, etc
  • Voluntary work with a local youth organization
Learn a new Skill
  • More sewing. I've completed a shopping tote and altered my daughter's jeans.
  • Making soap - another new recipe but I don't think it is going to work. It looked great but 3 days later the essential oil has separated from the mixture. Apparently this can happen for a number of reasons including not enough mixing. Oh well, you learn from your mistakes.

No comments: