Friday, January 16, 2009

A Day in My Life - 15th January 2008

A Day in My Life

The day started at 3 am when the dogs went beserk to let me know our son had arrived home from his late shift at work. Its nice they get excited when someone comes home but hey I was asleep! I got up and let him in and had a quick chat. Its a mum thing, you're not happy until everyone is home safe and sound.

Back to bed and up again at 9:30 ish. I say 9:30 ish to disguise the fact it was probably closer to 10am. Its school holidays so a great opportunity for a sleep in, besides we all had a late night the night before. Reading blogs and pottering around took up an hour or so and then I thought I had better get showered and dressed. Its a bit slack here at the moment, its not uncommon for me to be the only one up at 10:30.

The dogs wanted their breakfast so I woke my daughter to feed them - they are after all, her dogs. Despite being up half the night, the dogs are full of energy. I'm not so full of energy.

It was off to the local shops next. I needed fuel for my car and I had to pick up the spare tyre as it had been repaired. We've never had so many flat tyres as we have living here. I don't know if its the gravel roads or what it is. A quick trip to the supermarket to buy fruit and vege and milk and home again to feed the hungry hordes.

My son and I made lunch together - focaccias, and then he was off to work. It was time for the dishes (I confess it was last night's). Where does the day go? The weather was reasonable so I had a choice of an outside job or an inside job. The flagging energy levels made the choice an inside job.

There have been a pile of boxes sitting in the playroom waiting to be sorted for weeks (OK, months) so I began the task. In theory we are decluttering and getting rid of stuff. In practice I am married to a hoarder. He still has stuff from his school days which was a looong time ago. Two boxes went to live in the garage, two were designated as rubbish, one to the op shop and there is still one box left of "I really don't know what to do with." It looks better but there is still plenty of room for improvement. Where did all this stuff come from? No matter how much we get rid of there always seems to be more.

It was still lovely outside so I decided to be good and finish cleaning the gutters. There is only one section to do and its the easiest section but for some reason I had been putting it off. Up I went on my trusty ladder and got acquainted with gutters full of leaves and dirt. Four large buckets of leaves later and it was done. A quick play with the dogs and it was time to go inside and make dinner.

We watched a movie as we ate, a bad habit we have fallen into over the school holidays. Then some more decluttering, a couple of episodes of "Angel" while my daughter and I pretended to be cleaning up as we watched. Then bed.

Not exactly an action packed day but it was my day. I hope you had a great day.

No comments: