Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!

Wow, what happened to 2008? 2009 has already begun. What will this year bring? Listening to the radio on the way home today I heard various predictions for 2009. Financial analysts were saying the worst is over, interest rates are expected to fall. Most of the predictions involved sport, most of the callers were men so that sort of explains the fascination with sport.


I haven't made any new year resolutions because I'm not ready for 2008 to end just yet never mind 2009 to begin.


We started the year with a family outing to Werribee Free Range Zoo. I wish all zoos were like this. The animals are in as natural
as possible enclosures. The giraffes, zebras, antelopes and rhinos are in an enormous enclosure on a huge river flat. This one enclosure is twice the size of Melbourne Zoo. I'll post some photos as soon as some one takes them off the camera.

Update: the photos have been liberated from the camera by my husband (he has a much better camera than me so the photo quality of the shots below are a bit above my usual standard. The fact that he takes the time to get things in focus (unlike me) also helps.


Zebras in the large savanah enclosure.

You wouldn't want to mess with this young lady, at just under 2000kgs and with a large horn she pretty much does what she want to.

Can you see his tongue?
Its 42cm long and mighty useful for getting to those tasty leaves.

Power and grace in one golden brown package.


It was a lovely day and a good way to catch up with extended family. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and 2009 is kind to you.

No comments: