Friday, January 23, 2009

A Few Spare Minutes

I had a few spare minutes yesterday, at least I thought I did. Why is it that kids suddenly want your attention the minute you start a project of your own? Its one of those inevitable things.

Anyway I decided to mix up a quick batch of biscuits before making tea. I started and then the "Mum, would you come here?" calls began. My daughter had taken the dogs out for a run and one of them tore her ear and was bleeding. She is a golden labrador so the blood on her light coloured coat was pretty impressive, especially as she had shaken her head and spread it around a bit. Some warm salty water was made up and the wound cleaned up. Back to the baking.

Meanwhile my son was trying to fill in applications for university and couldn't understand the forms "Mum, would you please come and check this?" Lucky mothers are good at multitasking.

Back to the baking. The kitchen filled with the yummy aromas of fresh biscuits. Its a new recipe and I'm impressed. It will definitely be used many times in our house. Its a melt and mix recipe there are few dishes and its very adaptable.

Choc Chip and Fruit Biscuits
1 cup SR flour
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried fruit (sultanas or currants work well)
1/2 cup choc chips
125g butter melted
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tablespoon honey

Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the melted butter, honey and egg. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix well and place 2 tablespoons of mixture on a baking tray and press down with a fork. Bake at 190C for 12 minutes.

Variations
Swap the fruit and choc chips for any combination you prefer. I used 1 cup sultanas and 1/2 cup dried cranberries - very yummy.

I'll post some photos later.

No comments: