Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Sign of the Times


Listening to the radio on the way home today I heard the usual doom and gloom from financial experts. It seems more jobs are destined to go and families will be feeling the pinch more than ever - no surprises there.

What was surprising was one of the boom industries which has come out of our financial woes. It seems cobblers are making a come back. People are now repairing their shoes, handbags etc instead of simply throwing them out. The cobblers advice was simple - buy good quality shoes and you will be more comfortable wearing them and they can be repaired when the time comes. I'm all for creating less waste and using less resources. What a pity it takes financial hardship to make us become less wasteful.

The other side effect of the financial downturn is the popularity of simple cookbooks. People are cooking at home more. Apparently herbs have become best sellers. People are even baking at home. Old fashioned ways have become new fashioned. I'm a little amused that I'm now in fashion and not odd as my daughter tells me.

Photo from Free photos for websites - FreeDigitalPhotos.net

1 comment:

littleecofootprints said...

Thats great that more people are starting to mend rater than throw out. Its sad how much gets thrown out when it could be easily repaired. The soles on my husbands leather work shoes are starting to wear out and a few holes are appearing. They are in perfectly good condition otherwise. I cannot convince him that he does not need new shoes and only needs to get new soles. I think i'll have to sneak them off to the cobblers on a saturday ; )
Cheers, Tricia