Monday, February 23, 2009

Back Again

Back again - its been awhile since I last posted anything. The bush fires are still burning and today is predicted to be another extreme danger day. We have two large fires near us. The closest is only about 10km away. The other fire is more of a threat at the moment. Strong winds are predicted to carry it closer to us. A number of towns are on alert and people were evacuating last night. Fingers crossed the winds won't be as strong as feared and no one will lose their home due to bush fires today.

So what have I been doing the past couple of weeks? Lots of raking and cleaning up of the property. We had already done quite a bit of work but there is nothing like the real threat of a fire to get you motivated. I've spent hours raking sticks and leaves from around the property. Each day more fall. The dry weather is taking its toll on the garden. Yesterday a branch fell without warning from a large gum tree near our driveway. The trees are getting stressed.

The veggie garden has been producing lots of tomatoes but I'm running out of water so I haven't planted any seedlings for ages. I'll use the water I have to keep the plants going I already have. Hopefully it will rain soon. Hopefully.

A bit of sewing has been happening but nothing has been finished. I have lots of started projects but nothing completed. I've resolved to get a few finished before I move on to the next project. Lets see if I can stick to it.

Tomorrow is my daughter's 17th birthday. I have no idea what to get her for her birthday. It seems to get harder as they get older. I guess I had better get my act together as time is running out, hopefully inspiration will hit me today.

I guess I had better get to work. Unfortunately the dishes won't do themselves. Pity.

Lynda

2 comments:

Belinda said...

Hi Lynda,

I really hope you guys get through today Ok as the Warburton fire is looking very concerning.

Up here the forecast winds haven't hit yet so right now I am just hoping against hope that if they do eventuate it will only be for a few hours.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Crunchie's Mum said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts Belinda. We didn't have to evacuate but stayed up pretty late making sure we would be OK. My brother in law was awfully close to the Upwey fire. He is OK but there are lots of tired people today.

I'm so grateful for all the hard work of the CFA volunteers and the DSE. These are the people saving our homes and lives.

Fingers crossed we won't have any more fires.

Lynda