Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Belindas Back to Basics Challenge Update



Its been quite a while since I did an update for Belinda's challenge. The recent bush fires have upset my routine. Evacuating and the constant challenge of keeping the property clean and tidy just in case a fire did come through, took up most of my time. Now the fire danger has subsided there is time for the normal everyday stuff.

Sowing seed or Planting

No seed sowed recently - partly because of the fires and partly because I'm running out of water. Hopefully the rains will come soon.

Harvesting: tomatoes, beans, celery, strawberries.

I fertilized a lot of the potted herbs with a generous dollop of rotted horse manure and potted a few up. I was given a very healthy stevia plant so that was given a nice new pot.

Planning for The Future
I'm back to menu planning. Its a bit different at meal times now as our son has moved out to attend university. Suddenly we have leftovers. I'm still getting used to cooking for three instead of four, especially as number four ate a lot. I still freeze him meals to take back to uni with him (its a mum thing).

Tuesday Fish, chips and salad
Wednesday Aunty Beryl's chicken in the slow cooker
Thursday Vege slice
Friday Chicken lasagna
Saturday Omlettes and bread rolls
Sunday Spaghetti

Working for the Future -

Building Community -
  • Voluntary work with a local youth organization
  • Had morning tea and a chat with a neighbour I hadn't seen for quite some time.
Learn a new Skill
  • Participating in the knit along at Down to Earth. I'm knitting a shaker style rug. So far I've only completed one and a half squares so there is a long way to go.



No comments: