Thursday, May 14, 2009

My favourite scone recipe

Years ago, with a new baby in arms (literally), I was lying on the couch, exhausted, watching day time TV. There was a cooking segment on a popular variety show and the recipe they were demonstrating was the easiest scone recipe ever. I liked the idea of easy scones so struggled up and found a pen and copied down the recipe. I've been using it ever since.

Its one of those recipes that never fail. Some batches are better than others but they are never a complete disaster. You can adapt the basic recipe and make fruit and spice, date or whatever takes your fancy. You can literally have these on the table and the dishes done in 30 minutes. I've passed this recipe on to friends and they all agree - its the easiest scone recipe ever.

You can freeze the scones if you like. They defrost well and either 30 seconds in the microwave or a few minutes in the oven gives you warm, fresh scones.

Enjoy,
Lynda

Easiest Ever Scones
4 cups SR flour
300mls cream (light cream works fine)
300mls water

Combine all ingredients and mix to a dough. If the dough is still sticky you may need to add more flour. Knead very lightly, roll out, cut into shapes, place on lightly floured baking tray and bake for 12mins at 180C.


These were made with half wholemeal flour and about a teaspoon of mixed spice and a couple of handfuls of dried fruit. Yummy warm from the oven with butter and a hot cup of tea.

1 comment:

Louise said...

This sounds great. I have a day at home tomorrow so I will be giving this a go. I love simple recipes. My other standby for times when I need last minute baking for whatever reason is a tea cake - mix 2 cups of dried fruit, 2 cups of tea, and 2 cups of flour, then bake. It tastes especially good if you use chai tea and add spices and glace cherries.