Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Kitchen renovation update - with photos!

The kitchen renovation has come to a bit of a standstill. My son is back at uni with plenty of homework to do so the renovation has become low priority. I'm getting used to working off a small bit of plywood as my kitchen bench and hunting for oven trays in boxes. Every day is a bit of an adventure in my kitchen at the moment, thank goodness he didn't pull the kitchen sink off, that would have upset me.

This is what the kitchen looked like before, actually he had already started pulling it to bits but you can see the basic idea. The bench tops are solid timber and the cupboards are a mixture of chip board and brick - yep, brick. Everything is solid, very solid. There is a wood stove and an electric cooker as well. Its very country, definitely not modern. Beside the wood stove is a walk in pantry. You can't really tell from the photo but the shelving you can see next to the stove is in the pantry. Maybe we should have at least done the dishes before we took photos!


The timber was stained a dark brown. It made the whole kitchen dark. My son sanded back the timber doors and under all that dark brown was lovely light coloured timber. All the doors have been removed, sanded and painted with a clear polyurethane paint. You can see the before and after in the photo above. The doors are actually a bit more of a gold colour than in the photo.

My job was the painting so I tried to take advantage of each sunny day and get some more painting done. I ran out of places to put doors to paint so the wheel barrow came in handy. It made a great painting bench as I could move it around to stay in the sun. It did look a little strange with cupboard doors balanced on wheelbarrows, bins and flower pots up and down the driveway.


The smallest of the benches was sanded and painted. Before we began work this bench top was terrible - I would get splinters from it! Now its beautiful. The paint I'm using is actually a floor sealer. The tin advises three coats on a floor, I've used seven on the bench top. I figure if you can walk on it then it should last a while on the bench top. Seven coats gives it quite a gloss so its easy to wipe clean.

The bench top is resting on an old BBQ trolley. Once the kitchen is done I'm going to get my son to help me turn it into an outdoor serving trolley. You can't really tell under all the dirt but its made from jarah so will look beautiful with a sand and a paint.


One bench top finished and back in the kitchen! Its a huge improvement - its lighter, smoother, easy to clean and no splinters!

We've still got a long way to go but at least we've started.

Lynda

3 comments:

Linda said...

It looks beautiful. I'm sure you love using it.

Louise said...

The refurbished bench top is BEAUTIFUL. I don't know how you put up with that dark kitchen for so long, it would have made me so depressed! I look forward to the 'after' photo.

Aussiemade said...

How I love what you are doing with your wooden kitchen. I too have wooden bench tops and doors. I am hoping to strip them all and redo them during summer. I like your idea of using a floor sealer, would you mind telling me which one. It looks so wonderful.