Thursday, January 14, 2010

A bit of a clean out

The heat of the past week has broken, today is a nice sunny day. Its good to have the energy to get back into decluttering. I decided to 'bite the bullet' and start on my wardrobe. Its been on the to do list for quite some time but I've carefully avoided it. Its a large walk in robe packed to the rafters with stuff. If we couldn't find a home for stuff elsewhere it went into the wardrobe. There is a lot of junk in there.

Our new home doesn't have built in robes. Its a bit of a shock to the system. Where are we going to hide all our junk? Last weekend we bought two matching robes off Ebay (what ever did we do before Ebay?). They are solid timber and look great. These will be my DH and my wardrobes. Now the problem - how do we fit everything in? Currently we have about 5 meters of hanging space and the new robes are 1 meter wide each. See the problem? Not to mention all the stuff on the floor and the shelves.

The clean up began. Long lost stuff began reappearing. The bed got covered in stuff to be sorted. The op shop pile grew, and grew and grew. There were clothes I hadn't worn in years, stuff that didn't fit and some I just didn't like. Out it all went. Why do we keep all this stuff? There is a theory that says no matter how much storage space you have, your stuff will expand to fill it. I can believe it.

The ward robe looks a lot neater and nicer now but more will have to go. Today's effort is stage one. I haven't really begun on the shelves. I'll save them for another day.

Lynda

3 comments:

Tarek said...

I think I will try robes on ebay after reading this
-------------
weightloss.yahoolan.com
baby.yahoolan.com

Crunchie's Mum said...

Ebay holds absolute treasures in the way of wardrobes. You can buy solid timber antique robes for around $200. We bought two matching timber robes with large storage drawers under the hanging space for $500 the pair. We probably could have gotten cheaper but these were really nice and close to home so pick up was easy.

Good luck with your shopping.

Lynda

Linda said...

We have had two houses without wardrobes, or built ins. The one we are living in now has one wardrobe with drawers in the middle, we find some drawers help to store precious things.